One of my clients biggest challenge’s in this market is listings. The properties are selling and letting, the trick is to get through the door. How can you ensure you’re at least one of the three agents invited to value a property?
You must position yourself as an expert in your area. For those agents that are market leader, do not confuse this as being seen as the expert in your area. There is a magical formula that exists around being an expert in the area, here are my top tips to being that expert.
1. Be targeted in your patch – don’t expect to become an expert of an area spanning a whole county – you’re a jack of all, not a master, and the customer will sense this too. You will not hold your fees as a jack of all trades. Fact.
2. Know your area – drive, walk, jog, dance the streets if you must, but know your area. Understand what the key facilities are, such as the doctors, the park, the school, the mosque, the bus stop, train station, local convenience store. Get a clear understanding of where the investor terraces are, the first time buyer town houses, the young family small semis, the professionals 1920’s large semis and detached properties, be familiar with the
3. Be aware of every property that is on the market in your patch. Set up Rightmove alerts, Zoopla alerts, spend 30 minutes before you start your day checking the new stock that’s coming on the market, noting ones you’ve already seen and those that you have not. Track these properties. Having a clear understanding of what properties are available and their prices, this will give you great intel into the market and allow you to offer useful relevant information to prospects.
4. Be involved in your community. The local estate agent has long since been seen as a large part of the high street, become a key figure in the community. Raise funds for community projects, attend local networking events, offer the local shop owners discounts, sell tickets via your website for local events, keep abreast of local planning applications and proposals.
5. Carry yourself as the expert in the area. Always have the knowledge available to prove this point. Be aware of who has registered recently looking for a 3 bed semi in that vicinity, be able to confidently make potential vendors and landlords aware of this immediately. Demonstrate you know the area and already know who the potential buyer or tenant will be.